South Africa’s multiple award-winning current King of SA hip hop, rapper and songwriter Kwesta entered the 23rd annual South African Music Awards (SAMAs) as the most nominated artist and left the biggest winner taking home six awards.
Hail the King of the Streets! King Kwesta walked away with the following awards:
- SAMRO Highest Airplay Of The Year for Ngud’ featuring Cassper Nyovest;
- SAMPRA Highest Airplay Of The Year for Ngud’ featuring Cassper Nyovest;
- Best Rap Album for Da KAR II;
- Best Male Artist Of The Year;
- Best Album Of The Year for Da KAR II; and
- Best Collaboration for Ngud’ featuring Cassper Nyovest.
Leading to the SAMAs, Kwesta had already started his winning streak when his music video, Ngiyaz’fela Ngawe, featuring Thabsie, reached two million views on VEVO mark. The video took another hit from the DaKARII album, Ngud’ featuring Cassper Nyovest, which hit a notable four million views on VEVO. Both music video milestone views were reached in timelines of 90 days and 15 months respectively.
Kwesta’s Ngud’ featuring Cassper Nyovest has been a groundbreaking single for the South African hip hop culture, as the song transcended beyond hip hop listeners, to people of all ages, races, and cultures. Ngud’ maintained the number one position in the South African Top 100 Playlist chart for 12 consecutive weeks.