The current Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters found herself in a social media storm after photos surfaced of her posing with children from an orphanage whilst wearing gloves.
Miss SA actions have no justification
THEY ARE DISGUSTING AND OF A RACISM ACT pic.twitter.com/0oILdBlFlb
— Sefularo Keamogetswe (@Sefularo_Keamo) July 5, 2017
Out here labeling Miss SA a racist when she was feeding hungry kids when you've never helped a blind man cross the road.Ya'll can be boring
— Mdu_Not_Masilela (@Mdue_Dlamini) July 6, 2017
Miss SA eating with gloves on ?must be a lab experiment… pic.twitter.com/tOShwUXGxP
— Modern Black Youth (@SasTheScientist) July 5, 2017
And Demi had to explain herslef
To everyone asking about the gloves, I truly hope that you'll hear my heart and understand that it came from a place of wanting to do good. pic.twitter.com/Pl5amM2gEM
— Demi-LeighNel-Peters (@DemiLeighNP) July 5, 2017
“I just want to clear something. All the volunteers on sight wore gloves because we honestly thought that it’s the right thing to do while working with food. We were handing out food to young kids and that was the only intention with wearing the gloves‚ it was purely to be as hygienic as possible. I really feel like my intention were really misunderstood but I would like to apologise if I offended anyone”
Looks like this is just one PR mess for the reigning Miss South Africa
1. U don't handle food with LATEX, especially 4 children 😩😩😷. They use plastic gloves
2. If it's for hygiene where is Miss SA 's hair net? https://t.co/EXT3fRHO0N
— Portia Moemedi (@pookiportia) July 6, 2017
Miss SA spokesperson Claudia Henkel said Demi-Leigh had no malicious intentions by wearing the gloves.
“Our intentions were completely innocent going into the home. We were handed the gloves together with all other volunteers as we walked in and it was purely for hygiene purposes. The thing is it was such a busy day‚ so we hopped from preparing food to playing with the children. We did not think that the pictures would cause such a hype on Twitter as they were really innocent‚” she said.
Other Zagossip.co.za Stories
- Zodwa Wabantu barred from entering Eyadini Lounge
- A Side of Bonang Matheba you have never seen before
- After six years on Rhythm City, Nolo Phiri is leaving
- Tito Mboweni to Cassper Nyovest: You owe me a lot of money!!
- Social Media reacts to Zodwa Wabantu Vodacom Durban July Dress
- Latest: Zodwa Wabantu Challenge Is Here
- Zahara Is Happily In Love Again, Here Is Her Bae
- Mothers’ revenge: ‘Child rapist’ is tied up and beaten by women
- Skolopad makes public Whatsapp messages of men asking her for sex
According to a statement issued by Miss South Africa the purpose was to help prepare and serve a hot meal to 300 people as part of an on-going campaign.
The statement went on to explain that Demi did not wear disposable gloves throughout the entire visit.
Ikageng programme director Carol Dyantyi said all volunteers including their staff members wore gloves during the food preparation.
“All volunteers‚ including our staff members‚ wore gloves during the food preparation. It was mandatory. It was such a successful day and I am sorry that the focus is now on the gloves rather than the positive impact it had‚” she said.