As part of the programme at Joubert Park, the homeless will commit 67 minutes of community service to clean the park so that public spaces can be enjoyed by communities in the surrounding areas. To end off the day’s activities and celebrate Mandela’s ideals and honour his legacy the station has arranged music performances in the park.
The Mandela Day event is well supported by various sponsors. The key sponsors include:
- Aranda Blankets – to provide blankets for the homeless;
- Coca-Cola South Africa – sponsoring the stage, fencing, beanies, water, and beverages;
- EMS Joburg – donating medical services and manpower;
- Gift of the Givers – donatinng lunches, non-perishable food, and blankets;
- Iskcon Lenasia – donating vegetarian meals;
- Joburg City Parks – donating the venue, mobile toilets, refuse bags, and refuse trucks;
- Old Mutual – sponsoring blankets, bags, and beanies for the homeless; and
- Sidas Security – arranging 50 security personnel for the event.
“The Mandela Day event is Radio 2000’s flagship event on the marketing calendar. The station is fully committed to keeping Mandela’s legacy alive for the month of July by encouraging our listeners to be active in their communities and to give back to those less fortunate. The station also has great sponsors on board that sincerely want to make a difference in their communities and, through this great event, our partners can be part of keeping Tate Madiba’s legacy alive,” says Puleng Thulo, station manager for Radio 2000.