The Sowetan reports that Alec Mamothame, 43, and Sandile Nkosi, 25, stand accused of murder, kidnapping and possession of suspected stolen properties.
The pair applied for bail in the Protea Magistrate’s Court yesterday. Their case had been postponed in the Protea Magistrate’s Court in Soweto before.
The pair from KwaZulu-Natal were shot and killed last month.
They allegedly killed Phungula, 28, and Qwabe, 24, on May 12. Phungula’s body was found in Tladi, while Qwabe’s body was found in Naledi .
Mamothame said in a statement read to court by his lawyer Themba Tshabalala that he was driving his taxi at about 8pm in Zola when he was hijacked. He said he had two women and three men as passengers. He, however, managed to escape by jumping off the moving car.
“I escaped while the car was moving. The ladies were in the car when I was hijacked. I do not know if they worked with the hijackers or not,” Mamothame said .
He said he then informed his boss who later called a car tracking company. He said the car was found abandoned in Mapetla, also in Soweto .
Mamothame, a father of two who lives with his wife in Dube, said he intended to plead not guilty. He said he was arrested on May 27. His co-accused Sandile Nkosi, 25, was allegedly found in possession of one of the deceased’s cellphone.